Friday, October 2, 2009

Cochise Stronghold & The Chiricahua's

Daren was in college the last time I visited Cochise Stronghold and Chiricahua's. He didn't come to visit with his family that year in 2006, and then he was serving his mission when his family moved to AZ.
So he got to go exploring Southern AZ while here visiting and working for me (babysitting and Weed Puller)!!!
He went to Tombstone, and realized that it is a Tourist Trap! Then we ventured to Cochise Stronghold for some hiking. Since moving to Benson I have had probably 10 rattlesnake encounters on my property. I am not fond of this and so I am very cautious. While hiking I was a nervous wreck the whole time the kids were climbing on rocks and going off the path. I had to leave quickly because my stomach was churning that someone was going to get bit. I realized that I have never been to Cochise Stronghold in late September and so probably nothing to worry about when I have been there before. Needless to say, we didn't see a snake. PHEW!
So off we drove an hour away to see the Chiricahua's. I love this place! If you ever come to visit, chances are I will take you here because it is such a Spectacular sight!
Back to the last time I visited and why it had been so long! 1st is we moved to Benson, so we aren't as close as we used to be when we lived in Willcox, and 2nd, Corwin wandered off on the trails, right before dusk, and I was so panicked that it would get dark and that we would not be able to find him. There are animals that live in these rocks and he was only 5 at the time and how could he survive out in the wilderness by himself. I started yellling his name, and he wouldn't yell back. I was running up and down and PRAYING really hard that he would be found. I think about 15 minutes of sheer panick, he finally showed up at the parking lot, like nothing was wrong. Needless to say, I hugged him so tight and cried tears of joy.
Back to my day with Daren. I had a LONG talk with the boys about staying together, not getting too far ahead, and telling me exactly where they were going. Liam was in a death grip hand for awhile, he didn't seem to want to venture too far from mom. Which was a good thing for me. I only prayed once this time, when the older boys took off back up the trail and there were several other trails leading other directions. Luckily the boys stayed on the right path and Daren was quick to run and catch up with them to make sure they were safe. Thank you Daren for being so quick!
We had packed a picnic and enjoyed seeing the Mexican Jays surrounding us. Daren took Corwin and Aiden to a presentation on the Erickson's Homestead and how they ran a resort like place in the Chiricahua's.
Then we went up into the mountains to go exploring. This was such a fun trek. We ended up hiking down about 1 mile and then had to trek back up. All the boys loved this. Liam did pretty good for walking most of the way. On the way back though, he wanted to be held most of the time. I look at this as great excercise! I need to do this every week to strengthen my muscles and get back in shape!
We had a wonderful time here and the only thing the boys said they would do over is to make sure that their Dad had a day off so we could go again with him!
We have plans that on our next day off together as a family we are going to go hiking somewhere!

No comments: